Thursday, February 3, 2011

Things, Feelings, and Experiences I Fear

I'm afraid of a lot of things. Some of them are relatively normal, even a little bit silly: I still call someone else over to transport insects outside or (in a worst case scenario) kill them. Until perhaps a half a year ago, I slept with the hall light on because I was afraid of all of the terrible things that would suddenly materialize upon me extinguishing the lights. Some of my fears distort the way I view and interact with the world to the point that potentially joyful and enriching experiences turn into harrowing tangles with self-loathing on an almost daily basis.

This is a list of some of the things I fear:
Bugs, spiders, insects
The dark
Social interaction
A lack of social interaction leading a life of hermit hood
Being wrong
Trying new things
Having opinions
Being ignored
Being ridiculed
Being challenged
Confrontation
Meeting new people
Large groups of people
Any group of people greater than three or four individuals
Being morbidly obese
People thinking I'm stupid
People thinking I'm ignorant
People thinking I'm ugly
People thinking I'm stupid and ignorant and ugly
Not having any redeeming qualities
Not being funny
Not having good ideas or ideas that are good enough
Being awkward
Not knowing what to say
Unfamiliar places
Big places, cities, and buildings
Being turned down
Not understanding something
Being attracted to someone
Clutter
Unorganized and messy places
Horses
Making guesses
People thinking I'm creepy
Being creepy
Having inadequate amounts of information
People disagreeing with me
The possibility that I've ruined my life
Not going anywhere in life
Not being able to do anything
Putting myself out there
Saying "hello" to people
Introductions (Hi, I'm Ronald. Hi, I'm Rosa. Exchange of pleasantries)
Not having enough skills and talents
Thinking I'm good at something because I might be wrong
People who might pretend to be my friend, but who really think I'm awful
Making small talk
Whatever comes after small talk
Coming out of my "shell"
Coming out of my shell only to find that people don't really think I'm that great
Having lots of responsibilities that don't make me happy
Men, in general
Not finishing the things on my to-do list
Being late
People waiting for me when I'm late
People not wanting to wait for me
Being annoying
Intruding on people
Trusting other people
Receiving compliments because they might not be genuine
People ridiculing me when I'm not around
Being misunderstood
Not being of value
Not being relevant

I want to talk about all of these fears and how they manifest themselves, but I think I'll do that in another post. I primarily want to focus on all of the ones relating directly or indirectly to social interaction. Until next time (probably tomorrow)!

No comments:

Post a Comment